School of Medicine
Associate Dean, Faculty Promotions and Career Development
The newly created role of Associate Dean, Faculty Promotions and Career Development, at Washington University is a rare opportunity for a visionary leader to make their mark on faculty development programs and advancement, promotion, and tenure policies at our highly ranked School of Medicine.
Reporting directly to the Executive Vice Chancellor for Medical Affairs and Dean of the School of Medicine, the Associate Dean will serve as a member of the Dean’s executive leadership team and will be responsible for developing and implementing new, creative and modernized programs and policies to foster equity and entrepreneurial opportunities for faculty at all levels. The Associate Dean will serve as a resource for department chairs and program directors as they recruit, guide, and mentor their faculty of all academic ranks and tracks.
The Associate Dean will collaborate closely with School of Medicine leadership who oversee Education, Research, Clinical Affairs, Administration and Finance and Diversity, Equity and Inclusion. They will also serve as a partner to Human Resources, Ombuds, and other units to support and align all of the School’s faculty-related programs and initiatives. The Associate Dean will foster inter-campus collaboration by working with the University Provost and Vice Provosts on university-wide faculty career development initiatives.
- Candidates must possess an MD, MD/PhD, PhD, or equivalent degree with at least 5 years of experience in leading faculty or career development programs preferred.
- Hold academic credentials that qualify for the rank of Associate Professor or higher.
- Experience mentoring diverse faculty and fostering gender and racial equity in higher education through strategic leadership.
- Excellent verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Excellent teamwork and collaborative skills.
- Demonstration of appreciation and support for the diversity of academic career pathways.
- Seven to ten years of progressive leadership in faculty or career development at the departmental or enterprise level.
- Experience developing and executing a strategic vision for improving the lives and careers of faculty members at all levels.
- Excel in applying data driven approaches to influence key issues such as pay equity, recruitment and retention, modernization of faculty promotion and tenure policies/practices.
- Experience creating and delivering a range of faculty development programs (both virtual and on-site) at a large research university.
- Demonstrated interest in developing faculty as evidenced by a successful track record of accomplishment in mentoring, leadership and service.
- Ability to navigate a complex, matrixed organization and work effectively in teams.
- Excellent time management, project management, and communication skills.
- Ability to work independently, attend to multiple projects simultaneously, and meet deadlines.
- Experience supervising and developing other professional and support staff
No end date
An Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer
Washington University in St. Louis is committed to the principles and practices of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action. It is the university’s policy to recruit, hire, train, and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, age, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, veteran status, disability, or genetic information. Washington University seeks an exceptionally qualified and diverse faculty; women, minorities, protected veterans and candidates with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.