IM - Hospital Medicine
Chief of the Division of Hospital Medicine
The Department of Medicine at Washington University School of Medicine invites applications and nominations for the position of Division Chief of Hospital Medicine. Reporting to the Chair of the Department of Medicine, the Chief will oversee all clinical, administrative and financial functions including clinical operations, educational programs, faculty recruitment, faculty development, new program growth and support of scholarship and research in the Division.
Established in 2000, the Division is comprised of 100 physicians and approximately 11 advanced practice providers. Together, they provide high quality care to patients in a variety of inpatient units at three locations: Barnes-Jewish Hospital (1,266-bed level I trauma center), Barnes-Jewish West County (108-bed community-based hospital), and The Rehabilitation Institute of St. Louis (96-bed accredited rehab hospital). The Division has grown rapidly in the last decade and there are plans to further expand presenting a tremendous opportunity for a visionary leader to establish new innovative models in diverse settings and a national presence.
The successful candidate will be a visionary and strategic academic leader with a substantial record of leadership, clinical and administrative accomplishments, education scholarship and/or research productivity and teaching experience. We are seeking a diverse pool of applicants with prior clinical, administrative and leadership experience gained within a Department of Medicine, strong interpersonal and collaborative skills and demonstrated ability to effectively inspire, manage, mentor and develop faculty and staff.
Qualified candidates must hold ABMS certification in Internal Medicine or the equivalent training and certification with an MD, MD/PhD, DO or equivalent degree and should be at or above the Associate Professor rank. We are seeking candidates with operational/administrative leadership experience at the Section/Division Chief, Assistant Division Chief, Medical Director, or Co-Director level in a large, complex academic medical center or integrated health system.
- Prior experience with hospitalist program growth/expansion across a multi-hospital system.
- Experience developing a vision and providing strategic direction with an excellent record of inpatient clinical care, teaching, and scholarship.
- Demonstrated background promoting efficient clinical operations, and establishing metrics to measure and improve patient satisfaction, safety, quality, and outcomes.
- Adept at supporting residents and faculty in scholarship, research, teaching, clinical and administrative activities.
- Skills and experience working collaboratively with diverse groups of faculty and staff.
- Demonstrated administrative skills including proactive communication and strategic/operational planning.
- Ability to effectively engage in undergraduate and graduate medical education to enhance the educational mission of the Division, Department, and School of Medicine.
- Leadership style that supports collegiality, collaboration, and respect for diverse views.
- High level of personal integrity and professionalism in all interactions.
- Confidence in decision-making and capacity to identify, manage, and confront challenges.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Applicants should submit CV and cover letter with statement of interest. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. For more details contact: Nancy Donohoo, Senior Consultant, Washington University, email@example.com
No end date
An Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer
Washington University seeks an exceptionally qualified and diverse faculty; women, minorities, protected veterans and candidates with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.